Friday, May 8, 2009

Rain prevails on Friday

I pointed the car north this afternoon to make the trip to Fayette County Speedway in West Union. Running a weekly show for the first time in six or seven years, I was looking forward to what has always been exciting racing on the wide, fast, 3/8-mile oval. Unfortunately, Mother Nature had other ideas as the show was canceled late in the afternoon as I was 15 minutes out of Waterloo. Thanks to Modified driver J.D. Auringer for the text message to let me know to turn my car around. A trip north will definitely remain in the works for a date later this season.

Knowing there was bad weather all over the state, I made a couple calls only to discover Marshalltown Speedway also fell to the elements. Deciding the odds were against me, I figured it was best to park the car and stay home for the night.

I have exchanged a few texts with Facilities Director Jason Goble of 34 Raceway in Burlington and his mother, Terri, who have kept me updated on the status of their IRA 410 Sprint special. While it was smooth sailing early, that show has also struggled with the weather as a rain delay slowed things for a time in southeast Iowa. After the 305 Sprint and TQ Midget heats, the rains came and forced a delay. I understand, however, the rain has moved on and the 410s are now on the track for their qualifiers. Hopefully, the weather will cooperate so they can complete the show as tomorrow night they have a weekly points program on the schedule.

As for the rest of the weekend, I'll be back in Independence tomorrow night to announce night #2 of the weekly schedule after stopping by to visit mom a day early for Mother's Day. Her Sunday is already pretty full as she'll be helping prepare the track in Vinton for Sunday night's races.

I do want to give special thanks to Scott Tjabring of Action Track Photography here in Waterloo. Our track photographer at Independence for the past seven or eight years, Scott has allowed me to use his pictures here on positivelyracing.com. It is greatly appreciated, Scott! Thank you for your tremendous work! If you haven't already done so, visit http://www.actiontrackphotos.com/ to see Scott's excellent photography skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment