Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Banquets abound in November

It feels like forever since my last visit to a race and, unfortunately, that last racing venture a few short weeks ago was my last of this season. I had originally planned to take in Shiverfest this weekend, but will be unable to make it due to other commitments. From what I hear, I'm the only positivelyracing.com blogger not making the trip to southeast Iowa on Saturday, but be sure to check out all of the updates from the other bloggers.

While my racing days are finished for 2009, banquet season is fast-approaching and my November will be filled with post-season awards ceremonies. Along with emceeing the awards at the Independence Motor Speedway banquet on November 14 at the Buchanan County Fairgrounds, I'll be in attendance at the 34 Raceway banquet in Burlington the following weekend, November 21. I'm also tentatively planning to hit the Sprint Invaders banquet in Burlington on November 7. It will be a nice change of pace to see all of the drivers out of their "comfort zones" and in a less competitive, more formal environment.

While the racing season comes to a close in this part of the country and we celebrate the great accomplishments of our favorite drivers, I would like to ask readers to take a moment and offer their thoughts and prayers to a member of our racing family in Independence.

We learned earlier this summer about the courageous battle with cancer Wendy Irvine has been fighting. Wendy is the wife of 2009 I.M.C.A. Stock Car track champion and two-time I.M.C.A. Super Nationals champion Brian Irvine. She was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Disease back in June and has recently returned to the hospital. While cancer is terrible for any individual or family to face, it is especially devastating for a young couple with two small children. At only 25 years old, Wendy has already faced more adversity than many people will encounter in a lifetime. I'm certain that thoughts, prayers and support from fellow race fans would comfort this family during this difficult time. You can read more about Wendy's story and offer your prayers at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/wendyirvine/mystory.

That's all for now. I'll offer post-banquet thoughts as November comes and goes and I may throw in some extra statistical tid bits for Independence race fans to help you get through the off-season. For those planning on going to the banquet in Independence next month, I also plan to throw in some new (off-the-wall?) numbers as we hand out this year's awards.

Until next time, enjoy Shiverfest and any other late-season event you plan to take in!

No comments:

Post a Comment