Saturday, March 20, 2010

34 Raceway/Westland Mall Car Show

Despite Mother Nature lacking a sense of humor by providing us with snowfall on the first day of spring, I decided to take in my first racing event of the season this weekend. Although they aren't going in circles, a number of cars are currently on display at Westland Mall in West Burlington, Iowa, for the annual 34 Raceway car show.

I did manage to snap a few pictures with my BlackBerry to get you a little more fired up for the racing season even though the snow is flying. Here are a few of the "looks" to anticipate in 2010.

Colby Springsteen (I.M.C.A. Late Model)

Bill Roberts (I.M.C.A. Modified)


Dustin Crear (I.M.C.A. Modified)


Brian Holmes (I.M.C.A. Stock Car)


Brodie Dopler (Hobby Stock)


Ray Raker (Hobby Stock)


Lane Kauffman (Hobby Stock)


Jay Johnson (I.M.C.A. Late Model)


Jacob Darbyshire (I.M.C.A. Late Model)


Tony Davis (305 Sprint)


Kirk Kinsley (I.M.C.A. Stock Car)


Jeff Mueller (I.M.C.A. Stock Car)


Jason Cook (I.M.C.A. Stock Car)

Brett Timmerman (I.M.C.A. Stock Car)

There are around 30 cars in attendance, which will be on display until 6 p.m. tonight. The car show continues tomorrow from noon to 6 p.m., so there's still plenty of time to get out and take a peek at a number of this year's competitors. If you're at home with nothing to do tonight, a pre-season racing kick-off party is scheduled at Whitey's in Burlington. Based on my previous experiences there, it will be nothing short of a blast. Come on out after UNI takes it to the Kansas Jayhawks in the big dance. A practice session is scheduled at 34 Raceway next weekend followed by the season opener the following Saturday, April 3, with the Brian Hetrick Memorial Race.
Fantasy Notes:
There has been a good response in the early stages of the Indee Fantasy Race Night of Champions. For those who haven't yet taken part in it, a season-long all-time challenge will be held on the Independence Motor Speedway facebook page. Qualifying heat races including the all-time winners at the speedway will be revealed throughout the season with facebook race fans having the opportunity to vote on who they think are the all-time best drivers at Independence. The first heat is in the books as all-time Hobby Stock wins leader Chris Wessner qualified for that division's feature with a heat win. Rick Johnson and Forrest Frost also qualified for the feature; the feature lineup will be revealed on facebook later this summer following the conclusion of all qualifying events. Currently, the first heat of Stock Cars is underway. Check out the daily race updates, available only on the track's facebook page.
The "real" stuff begins in Independence on Saturday, April 10, with the annual car show downtown followed by the test and tune session at the race track. Hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment