Wednesday, August 18, 2010

"Excuse me, officer? You're claiming my engine?"

A hot topic has been in a lot of racing circles this week that will undoubtedly remain in the mainstream for weeks to come... at least through the week of IMCA Super Nationals. More than just a topic of discussion, it's become a topic of debate both on message boards and at local tracks. Many refer to it as unfair while others have said what happened was justified.

There was a promoter claim at Boone Speedway this past Saturday night in the IMCA Stock Car division that has created as many anti-IMCA sentiments as Tiger Woods has had infidelity accusations. Oh, I used that one already? Get over it. The Tiger song and dance has gotten old, as has the complaining about IMCA's claim rule...

Before I continue, I want to stress that I think Brian Irvine is one of the best IMCA Stock Car drivers you'll find anywhere. He's been a great race car driver since his first win in a Hobby Stock at Independence back on May 31, 2003. He has had a number of years of success in both divisions at Independence, not to mention his other "big" wins, including multiple Great American Stock Car Series wins and two IMCA Super Nationals crowns in the Stock Cars.

Also, the opinions I express in this blog are my own. It is probably understood that Irvine stopped running weekly at Independence earlier this summer and, while I do work there as the announcer and resident stats geek, I don't hold anything against Brian for not coming back (regardless what his reason may have been) and am not trying to pass my opinions off as the opinions of the track or anyone else's. The points of view included in this blog are from me... as a race fan.

I'll offer a little background information on the situation, but will keep it brief because, A) I was not at Boone on the night in question and, B) If you're not already aware of the events of the claim last Saturday, you're probably not reading this anyway. Quite honestly, I'm not clear on all of the details of the specific claim, but in the end, it really doesn't matter.

After deciding not to return to Independence a few weeks ago, Irvine started making the trip to Boone on Saturdays, presumably in attempt to get his car dialed in for next month's Super Nationals. He reportedly had mechanical problems during one of his first trips down there and, as a result, his point average allowed him to start up front in subsequent weeks. During that time, he pulled off in the waning laps while leading the Stock Car feature a couple of different times. Apparently, he did this once in his own car and another time in the car of a fellow competitor as he was reportedly helping him get that car dialed in, as well. From here, the story gets messy and, in all actuality, isn't relevant anyway.

To make a long story short, Boone promoter Bob Lawton made use of his promoter claim and claimed the engine on Irvine this past Saturday while he was driving the loaner from the lead to a premature exit. From that point on, all hell broke loose.

In various racing circles and across the Internet, people are "debating" the claim rule. Okay, not always the claim rule in general, but the promoter claim. Well, not just the promoter claim, but the purpose of it. Wait, not just the purpose of the claim, but how it applied in this instance. Ehhh, not just how it was applied in this instance, but what Irvine did that led a promoter to claim him. Hang on, not just what Irvine did, but why he was driving someone else's car in the first place when he left the track. Well, not just why he was driving someone else's car, but why he was running up front anyway if he was only "testing and tuning" the car he was borrowing. Okay, okay, okay, nevermind. It. Doesn't. Matter.

"Hello, officer."
"May I see your license and registration, please?"
"Sure, here you go."
"Do you know why I pulled you over today?"
"Was I speeding?"
"Were you speeding? Yes, you were speeding. Did you know this is a 60mph zone and you were travelling 75?"
"Well, yes, sir, but I'm running late for work and I can't afford to miss work again or I'll lose my job."

When a driver purchases his or her IMCA license, that individual is made aware of the rules of conduct and rules of participation of that sanctioning body. Upon purchasing a license and upon participation in an IMCA-sanctioned event, he or she acknowledges that they have an understanding of the information provided to them.

"That's unfortunate, however that doesn't change the speed limit. Is there a problem with the traffic up the road that caused you to be running late?"
"No, sir. There wasn't any traffic."
"Just running late this morning?"
"Yes, I was just running late. You know, I really hate the fact that the speed limit here is 60. I mean, it is a four-lane highway, but is never very heavily traveled, there was no traffic at all on it this morning and I don't understand why it's a problem that I was going over the speed limit."

Many drivers have opinions of IMCA's claim rule. However, at the time a driver signs into a race track and participates in an event, they acknowledge that, while their opinions may differ, the rules are in place. In short, drivers participating in IMCA-sanctioned events are fully aware of the claim rule and they subject themselves to the claim every time they enter a race track.

"I see. Had you come upon any signs to indicate that 60 was, in fact, the speed limit where you were driving?"
"Well, yes, sir. I just don't understand what the problem is. I mean, like I said, there's no other traffic, I wasn't doing anybody any harm and I wanted to get to work on time."
"I see. Prior to getting into your vehicle this morning, did you realize that there would be a 60mph zone on your way to work today?"
"Well, yes, sir."

Again, knowledge of the rules set forth are the responsibility of the participant the moment they get behind the wheel. It is then the expectation of the participant to be of the understanding that the rules in place apply to them, regardless what he or she feels they may do to make himself or herself exempt from the established rules or laws.

"So, it wasn't a matter of not knowing what the speed limit was or that there are traffic laws in place? You are now acknowledging that you knew you were speeding even though you first questioned why I pulled you over?"
"No, sir. I mean, yes, sir. I mean, I just don't like the speed limit as much as I like my job."
"I see. Well, I'm not the person who creates the laws based on what you may or may not like. I am here to enforce the laws as they are put in place for everyone. Due to the fact that you were traveling 75mph in a 60mph zone, I will be writing you a citation and encouraging you to obey the traffic laws from this point forward. Like them or not, you knew them when you got behind the wheel and, quite frankly, are expected to follow them regardless what opinion you may have of them. Good day."

Even beyond what is and what isn't within the guidelines of the IMCA rules, many have debated between "right and wrong" on this matter. Again, as brutal as it may sound, it honestly doesn't matter. It all comes back to understanding and obeying the rules that are set forth.

Beyond that... accountability.

I, along with everyone else, have heard countless times how someone else "screwed them over" and that isn't even limited to the sport of racing. I think it's safe to assume that anyone who has felt as though they were on the receiving end of what they considered a "bad call" has occasionally jumped the gun, become defensive and questioned why the end result happened without first taking a look at their own behaviors throughout the entire process. Take the guy above who was pulled over for speeding. He knew the speed limit going in, but he believed his personal opinions about the speed limit for that particular area, the fact he was running late for work and the fear of losing his job served as his out. There never was any accountability on his part... you know, the guy who knew what his route to work would entail long before he ever got behind the wheel...

Lost in this entire debate about the claim in this specific instance is the one thing I would have mentioned right away as a fan had I been in Boone on that night. Actually, I imagine I'd feel very similar if I was in Lawty's shoes and much the same if I was a fellow competitor in that particular event. In my conversations with others and from what I've read on the message boards, however, this is the one point I haven't seen mentioned. If it has been mentioned and I missed it, I apologize...

From a fan's standpoint, "I go to the races to see racing. I want to see the best guy out there with the best car on any given night giving it his all. I want to get my money's worth, knowing that the right guy won or, at the very least, attempted to win." Honestly, if I saw the leader pull off the speedway for no apparent reason, I'd feel cheated.

From a promoter's standpoint, not only would I be disappointed in the show by watching my leader pull off early without reason... I'd be pissed. If I was Lawty, my response would have been along the lines of, "This was race night at my track and someone out here is using my actual race night as a test and tune session while he's leading the feature? That's what hot laps are for. That's why guys start at the tail of the field, try to get the car dialed in and then pull off without acknowledgment and without incident. Not my leader. Not once, not twice, not ever. I am here to promote a race track, not a series of weekly hot laps sessions for anyone to simply prepare for Super Nationals. I don't care if Super Nationals are at my track, either. Afterall, it's the weekly racers throughout the summer that come to support me during my biggest event at the end of the year." To display such an act during race night in front of the race fans who paid money to watch racing at my track, I imagine many promoters would do the same thing as Lawty. Lawty should be applauded, not condemned.

As a fellow competitor, I'd feel insulted. "I work my tail off every week to put my car at the front of the pack. I may not run the best of equipment and may not have as much money as the next guy, but damn it, I'm here to race. You're telling me some guy leading my feature pulls off 'just because' and then he's the one who gets all sideways and bent out of shape about it? I don't think so. Don't insult me and try to 'show me what you think is in store next month during Super Nationals.' I don't care if you beat me by a car-length or by half a track, I want to race and I want to race everyone who pulls in here. Don't insult all of my own hard work by pulling off the track because you may be running your 'Boone motor' and fear getting claimed."

What it all comes down to in the end is that it doesn't really matter if you like the claim. What matters is you accept the rules going in, regardless if you're running a $2,000 engine or a $10,000 engine. That IS the purpose of the claim. That IS what makes IMCA the leading sanctioning body across the country.

I really don't know if it matters that this incident involved Brian Irvine or if it would have made a difference if it involved some other guy without the success he's experienced over the years. The fact that the name was recognizable may have made it more "newsworthy," but, again, I don't think it really matters. If anything, what happened at Boone on Saturday should prove that it doesn't matter who you are. It doesn't matter if you've won a lot of races or if you're just now establishing yourself as the next up-and-comer. It doesn't matter if you've had success at Super Nationals or if you've never even set foot at Boone. The rules are the same. The rules make racing affordable. The rules allow for car counts across the country (at least, from my knowledge, in this region) to continue to be strong despite the prolonged economic struggles we've faced.

I sincerely hope to see Brian Irvine behind the wheel of a race car in weeks and years to come. His talent behind the wheel is among the greatest who compete in that division. If the rumors are true that he is selling out and calling it a career, that would be unfortunate. Not only unfortunate for race fans and competitors, but unfortunate for him, as well.

1 comment: