Sunday, April 15, 2012

The weekend couldn't out-run the rain in Mason City

When I went to bed Thursday night, I had the feeling that I was coming down with something. When I woke up Friday morning, those fears were confirmed... Congestion, sore throat and fatigue had set in. Perfect timing since Lee County Speedway's season opener was scheduled for that night.

Although the races in Donnellson were canceled due to rain around the lunch hour, I made the trek south on Friday anyway to hang out with some friends, hoping I'd feel better for Saturday night's Sprint Invaders/$1,000-to-win IMCA Modified show at 34 Raceway in Burlington. I felt worse on Saturday, but after treating myself to some OTC meds and some prolonged rest, I went to 34 only to see that program cut short after heat race qualifying. Along with rain showers, a spectacular lightning show cut that program short. A night at a rain-soaked race track is not the cure for the common cold, I might add. Fear not fans of 34, the Sprint Invaders are tentatively scheduled to make up their feature as part of the July 3 program and I understand that all of the other rained out features will be made up this coming Saturday night. For up-to-the-minute scheduling info, be sure to visit www.34raceway.com.

I returned home to Vinton on Sunday afternoon after the races were, you guessed it, canceled at Benton County Speedway, as well. Still not feeling the best, although slightly able to breathe through half of a nostril, I made the decision to make my first-ever visit to I-35 Speedway in Mason City. I asked my mom if she wanted to come along with me since she had never been there either and her Sunday night plans were also washed out with the Vinton cancellation.

We set the Magellan for the track's address (as taken from the I-35 web site, I might add) and pointed the car north for the approximate two-hour drive. I contacted fellow PR.com blogger Kevin Trittien in advance to see if he could save us a couple seats since I'd never been there before and had no idea how long it would take to get there.

Around 5:45, we entered Mason City taking the third exit/fairgrounds exit specifically ignoring the Magellan's (I call her Maggie) instructions to take the first exit coming from the east. I was convinced I had seen a North Iowa Fairgrounds sign at an exit to the west of the city in the past so I went with my gut and not with Maggie.

Sometime, somewhere, somehow along the way I decided that maybe Maggie was smarter than I so I started following her directions once we exited the interstate. Of course, she took me backtracking through downtown Mason City to 4th Ave. SE, in the general direction of the first exit we passed, oh, so many miles before. Something just didn't feel right, so we turned around.

During our adventure, we stopped and asked a few girls who were doing their civic "Adopt A Highway" duties if we were near the fairgrounds. "Oh, no, one replied, you need to turn around and go a couple miles the other way." The other way? Hmmm, we just came from that direction and, sure enough, there was no race track.

Again, against my better judgment, I turned around and went east. As we just passed the ShopKo, I got a text from Kevin asking if we were almost there. I quickly called him and informed him that I'd love to tell him if we were almost there, but I honestly had no clue. By this point in time, checking out the empty parking lot at Kmart's clearance sale was more likely to see my business than any race track. Kevin informed me that if I passed the ShopKo, which I had (see above), then I was too far east. Around we turned again on 4th Ave., a street with which I was becoming far too familiar, and continued west until we reached the fairgrounds. Although the drive to the track was a bit longer than expected, it did allow me to forget about my sinus congestion and I was feeling pretty good by the time we made it to the speedway.

Before I continue, a note to I-35 promoter Joe Ringsdorf: As much as I enjoyed my Sunday drive through the streets of Mason City, please change the track's address on your web site from 3700 4th St. SE to 3700 4th St. SW. :)

We made it in time for the last few hot lap sessions, grateful that Kevin and his dad saved us a couple of seats with them. In Kevin's group was also new Southern Iowa Speedway promoter Mike VanGenderen, who made the two-plus hour trip to take in the show.

After all 11 heat races were run without a single caution in just over a half hour, the Junior Hornets rolled onto the track for the first feature. Oliver Monson pulled away from the field at the drop of the green and cruised to the win ahead of Spencer Cole. Ryan Bryant also dominated the field in the caution-free regular Hornet feature. He took the easy win ahead of Kelly Miller.

Likewise, the Hobby Stocks ran green-to-checkers with Stac Schroeder coming out on top in that 10-lapper. After starting in the middle of the pack, Schroeder worked the low side to the lead after just one lap to drive away from the pack. Opening night winner Heath Tulp closed late, but settled for second at the line. Chad Gentz, Zac Smith and Andrew Borchardt completed the top five.

In the IMCA SportMod feature, pole-sitter Dan Tenold set sail at the drop of the green and won in convincing fashion in that 12-lapper. The race was slowed only once for caution for, of all things, Tenold's air filter, which came loose and scattered parts all over the track at the end of the front stretch.

With clean air in front of him for the restart, Tenold led the four remaining laps to score the win ahead of Tad Reutzel and Adam Ackerman. Nate Chodur and Travis Greenfield completed the top five.

Outside front row starter John Campbell held the early lead in the 15-lap Stock Car feature. He set the pace while Joe Willier and Larry Portis ran the low groove into contention. The race was halted, however, after four laps when light rain started to fall.

After a brief delay, racing resumed with Willier taking the advantage on the low side to steal the lead by the completion of lap five. Portis also worked his way past Campbell, then stuck his nose to the inside of Willier as the leaders exited turn two on lap seven. Portis held the lead until heavy rain started to fall with only a couple of laps left. By that time, the track was lost and the evening's program was canceled with the final few laps of the Stock Car feature and the entire Modified feature to be finished.

Although it was disappointing that my first trip to Mason City was cut short due to rain, it should provide regular fans a great show next Sunday. Track announcer Jerry Vansickle announced that next Sunday's program would begin with the final few laps of tonight's Stock Car feature, then the make-up Modified feature, before a complete new show.

Thanks again to Kevin for saving seats for us. Also, to let Kevin's readers know, he's been having some computer issues lately and hasn't been able to write about the races he's attended. He hasn't disappeared! You can rest assured he's still hitting a number of races and, hopefully, will have his computer back up and running in the near future.

Since I know a number of Independence Motor Speedway fans read In Staging, those race fans may be interested to know that a couple of former Hobby Stock drivers have made their move into the Stock Car division this season. Father and son drivers Steve and Chris Wiltse were in Mason City tonight competing with the Stock Cars so expect to read their names in that division's results this season.

Also, thanks to announcer Jerry Vansickle for keeping me updated on the status of tonight's races at I-35. He let me know this afternoon that the races were on as scheduled, despite the stormy weather throughout the region this weekend. Along with his timely updates, he was entertaining on the mic tonight, as well, even if for a few inside jokes he made while chewing on the microphone...

My next race night will include a trip to Donnellson on Friday night as we try once again to get the season-opener in at Lee County Speedway. This coming Friday, 305 Sprints will highlight racing action in a $1,000-to-win event that honors the memory of former Sprint Car champion Brian Hetrick. Along with Mod Lites, IMCA Hobby Stocks and IMCA Sport Compacts, IMCA SportMods were also recently added to Friday's program as a result of this past weekend's rainout. To stay current all season on Lee County Speedway, I've added a link to the official track web site on this page.

On Saturday, I'll head north to Independence for the annual Indee Drivers' Day Car Show on the streets of downtown Independence from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. After the car show, the drivers will make their way through the streets to the fairgrounds for the annual test and tune session, which is scheduled for 2-5 p.m.

Before any racing next weekend, though, I will spend a day or two at the Buchanan County Fairgrounds in Independence doing the "rock walk" on the track. Among the 100 loads of new clay and dirt brought in during the off-season were a bunch of rocks that we're looking to have removed by next weekend's practice. If the weather's nice and you feel like chipping in, any and all extra hands are appreciated!

That's all for this weekend and, if I learned anything, it's that a trip to the races may not cure a cold, but it will sure take your mind off of it for a few hours at a time. Although I was feeling better when I got to Mason City, I don't think getting stuck in that downpour did me any favors. Now, where did I put that NyQuil...

No comments:

Post a Comment